Our College Counseling Program
At Lafayette Academy our goal is to find “best fit” colleges for your son or daughter, guide the application process, and increase the likelihood for acceptance.
Our college counseling services begin with an hourly appointment for high school freshmen or sophomores to make sure they are on the right path for college admission success. Freshmen and sophomores benefit from advise on course curriculum, extra curricular activities and standard testing. During this initial appointment we create an academic plan for the remainder of high school, discuss options for activities and programs to supplement academics and discuss the differences in the SAT and ACT and which might be better for that student. Generally, one or two appointments a year are all that is necessary.
Following these initial appointments families can choose to sign up for the Comprehensive College Counseling Program, which begins after sophomore year. Many families reserve a spot in this program after their initial freshmen or sophomore visit, which leads to the program filling up quickly. Our counselor only works with 20 students per grade.
Although we no longer have any space left in the Comprehensive College Counseling Program for current high school juniors and seniors, we do have limited space available for students who are currently freshmen and sophomores. If interested, do not hesitate to request an initial meeting. contact us.
Our Comprehensive College Counseling Program Includes:
- A comprehensive battery of assessments to help students identify latent interests and potential college majors.
- Continued advise on academic subjects and extracurricular activities to ensure students maximize their high school experience.
- An extensive college search that culminates in a list of colleges that are great fits for your son or daughter. The list includes “likely”, “target”, and “reach” schools to ensure that students have the best opportunity to attend a great college.
- Exposure to lesser known, highly regarded schools
- Weekly meetings to keep students on track during the application process
- Brainstorming and editing of all college essays
- Help with filling out applications
- Assistance with tasks on Naviance
- Creating a high school resume
- Guidance on standardized test retakes and submission
- Advice about school visits and mock interview sessions
- Access to an on-line college search and application management system
- Financial Aid advice
- Help with the final decision on which college would be the best to attend based on acceptances
- Preferred access to other Lafayette Academy services (e.g. our best SAT Prep tutors, and special SAT Prep workshops just for our college counseling students)
To have someone contact you with NO obligation, click the “request services” button here:
No credit card required
Kathy Bressler received her Bachelors Degree from the University of California, Los Angeles and earned her Masters Degree in Communications Management from the Annenberg School of Communications at the University of Southern California. She also completed UC Berkeley Extension’s Certificate Program in College Admissions and Career Planning.
Kathy is the co-owner of Lafayette Academy and has been a college counselor for 12 years. She belongs to two different consortiums of college counselors in the Bay Area that meet monthly and has traveled to approximately 40 states visiting hundreds of colleges. Kathy attends many yearly conferences and is a member of the following professional organizations:
- NACAC (National Association for College Admission Counseling)
- WACAC (Western Association for College Admission Counseling)
- HECA (Higher Education Consultants Organization)
Personal Information & Experiences
While Kathy raised her four daughters, she was on the Burton Valley PTA Board of Directors, Las Trampas Swim Team Director, and Chair of the Youth Committee and a member of the Board of Directors at Temple Isaiah in Lafayette. As parent and later college counselor, Kathy guided her four daughters through significantly different academic experiences. Her oldest daughter, Mallory, graduated from the University of Michigan as a double major in Political Science and Sociology with an emphasis in Education. Mallory managed after-school programs in Boston and NYC, and is now Managing Director at Diatribe. Kathy’s next daughter, Dana, graduated from UC Santa Barbara as a Business Economics major with an emphasis in Accounting. Dana worked at Google, a small tech start up, and is now a Product Manager at Credit Karma. Her youngest daughters are twins, Hillary and Rebecca. Hillary double majored in Sociology and Political Science at UC Davis and has started a dog training and walking business in Lamorinda. Becca was a Cognitive Science major at UC Berkeley and now works at Pixar. Kathy considers herself very fortunate that all four of her daughters have done so well.