We Will Help Your Children Keep Up or Get Ahead During The Pandemic!
- Rest assured that we will be extremely flexible to ENSURE that your son or daughter or both will be okay this fall!
- ALL of our services will be provided ONLINE until we’re certain that it’s safe for students and instructors to meet in our centers.
- We will find ways to add optional “community” features to our online offerings to help students deal with isolation. For example, students might run into their friends in an online waiting room.
[We’re sorry that this page is poorly designed and wordy; we wanted to get something done quickly.]
- We have tutors for individuals, small groups (including Pods), and Lafayette Academy Shadow Classes. Our rates vary from $40/hour (for prepaid Shadow Classes) – $69/hour for private tutoring. We will also help families with financial challenges.
- Our tutors will be available throughout the day 7 days a week. All you need to do is tell us what you need and we will find you a great match. We handle all of the logistics, including contacting your children (if you want us to) if they don’t show up for a session.
- Our tutors are intimately familiar with the local curriculum (and many of the teachers) in Lamorinda and the San Ramon Valley School District, particularly at Acalanes, Campo, Miramonte, Monte Vista, and San Ramon Valley. We also see many students from other schools including De La Salle, Carondelet, College Park, Northgate, Las Lomas, Dougherty Valley, Cal High, and many of the private schools in the East Bay.
- Our tutors know the textbooks that your students are using and we target other school districts that use the same materials (e.g. Big Ideas Math): Milpitas, Palo Alto, Sacramento, Folsom, Palos Verdes, Murrietta Valley, and beyond.
- We KNOW our tutors. Most have worked in our centers and now they’re ONLINE! Plus, they aced difficult placement tests.
Math & Reading for Grades 3-8
We are implementing new programs this fall for younger students. These will be assessment-based programs to identify and correct any skill gaps that may have emerged last spring or before.
- We are hiring credentialed teachers for these programs because we recognize that they may require more teaching than tutoring. Also, it’s important that our teachers are familiar with standards and benchmarks.
- Notably, these programs will also help students with whatever they’re currently learning in school. Part of each session will focus on skill building and fundamentals and part will address current school work.
- We are using proven programs from a leading provider of education technology and curriculum as a foundation for these programs. Importantly, we will also supplement the material based on each student’s learning style and learning profile.
- We will regularly assess our students to ensure that they’re making progress.
Our Philosophy & Other Important Considerations (including updates for the Pandemic)
- Many of you know us well and probably don’t need to read the list below. Still, we want to make sure that everyone fully understands our commitment to our students. Simply stated, we will do whatever it takes to help your son or daughter (or both) thrive in school. The owner (full disclosure, that’s me) coached 20 seasons of soccer and basketball with my four daughters. The most important lesson that I learned is that there is NO substitute for positive reinforcement. There isn’t even a close second. So, we will try to help all of our students with (you guessed it) positive reinforcement.
- Our tutors don’t just “tutor.” If necessary, they coach or mentor your children. They will check in with each student to identify any issues that might impact learning.
- Our relaxed, fun approach is not just designed to attract students. It’s conducive to learning because a relaxed learner gets and retains concepts more easily than one who is stressed out.
- Our tutors will be the “adults” in the relationship. More than ever, your children need extra guidance to ensure that they remain focused on the work. More than ever, you need more help from us because of the demands that have been placed upon you.
- We have the largest number of patient and experienced tutors in each of our markets. This makes it easy for us to find the right tutor for your child at the right time for your schedule. Even though we’re online, we have different tutors who are intimately familiar with different schools.
- Our tutors include young college graduates from top schools, current and retired teachers, local college students who recently achieved 4+ GPAs in high school, and many other people with interesting backgrounds and impressive credentials. We can always find a great match for your child.
- We tutor in virtually (pun intended) every subject, 7 days a week.
- We offer same day tutoring.
- You don’t need to sign a contract or pay a big upfront fee to come to The Academy.