Tutoring & More
We Are Helping Students Keep Up or Get Ahead During The Pandemic!
Our Tutoring Is Different
- We have expert tutors for individuals, small groups (including Pods), and Lafayette Academy Shadow Classes® , and they do NOT wing it!!!!
- We have tools to ensure that our tutors ARE THE MOST EFFECTIVE TUTORS … ANYWHERE! Please take a moment to learn more …
- We have a curriculum library that includes the BEST WAYS to explain topics that typically confuse students.
- Our lead tutors are highly experienced and already know most of the common problem areas. They’re the ones who have built our curriculum library. Our students experience many “aha” moments during their tutoring sessions or Shadow Classes.
- We identify each student’s unique learning style(s) and tailor our sessions accordingly.
- Our tutors know the textbooks that your students are using and we target other school districts that use the same materials (e.g. Big Ideas Math). If you’re seeing our ads in Palo Alto, Sacramento, Folsom, Palos Verdes, Murrietta Valley, and beyond, it’s not an accident.
Our Tutoring Services Are Flexible and Affordable
- Our tutors are available throughout the day 7 days a week. Tell us what you need and we will find you a great match. We handle all of the logistics, including contacting your children (if you want us to) if they don’t show up for a session.
- Our tutors are intimately familiar with the local curriculum (and many of the teachers) in Lamorinda and the San Ramon Valley School District, particularly at Acalanes, Campo, Miramonte, Monte Vista, and San Ramon Valley.
- We KNOW our tutors. Many have worked in our centers and now they’re ONLINE! We have a small team who interviews everyone so you will not face the inconsistency that plagues the larger tutoring companies. Plus, our tutors aced difficult placement tests.
- Our rates vary from $40/hour (for prepaid Shadow Classes) – $69/hour for private tutoring. We will also help families with financial challenges.
We are implementing new programs this fall for younger students. These are assessment-based programs that identify and correct any skill gaps that may have emerged last spring or before. We GUARANTEE that your students will catch up or get ahead!
- The foundation for both programs are innovative, state-of-the-art programs that were developed at Stanford University (even this Cal Bear gives them a huge thumbs up!). Both programs are driven by assessments that highlight skill gaps.
- However, these are not computer-only programs. Each student also works with a teacher who is familiar with local standards and benchmarks.
- Master Math and Strategic Reading will also help students with whatever they’re currently learning in school. We don’t want students to struggle in school while we are strengthening their fundamental skills.
- Our supplemental materials will be informed by each student’s learning style.
- We will regularly assess our students to ensure that they’re making progress. You will see noticeable improvements!
Our Philosophy & Other Important Considerations (including updates for the Pandemic)
- Many of you know us well and probably don’t need to read the list below. Still, we want to make sure that everyone fully understands our commitment to your children. Simply stated, we will do whatever it takes to help your son or daughter (or both) thrive in school. The owner (full disclosure, that’s me) coached 20 seasons of soccer and basketball for my four daughters. The most important lesson that I learned is that there is NO substitute for positive (and genuine) reinforcement. There isn’t even a close second. So, we will try to help all of our students with (you guessed it) positive (and genuine) reinforcement.
- Our tutors won’t just “tutor.” If necessary, they will coach or mentor your children. They will check-in with each student to identify any issues that might impact learning.
- Our relaxed, fun approach is not just designed to attract students. It’s conducive to learning because a relaxed learner gets and retains concepts more easily than one who is stressed out. What happens to your memory when you’re stressed?
- Our tutors are the “adults” in the relationship. More than ever, your children need extra guidance to ensure that they remain focused on the work. More than ever, you need more help from us because of the demands that have been placed upon you. For example, we won’t placate children who simply want us to help them with their homework. Our job is to explain the material so well that students can complete their own homework in a timely fashion.
- We have plenty of patient and experienced tutors. This makes it easy for us to find the right tutor for your child at the right time for your schedule.
- Our tutors include young college graduates from top schools, current and retired teachers, local college students who recently achieved 4+ GPAs in high school, and many other people with interesting backgrounds and impressive credentials. We can always find a great match for your child.
- We tutor in virtually (pun intended) every subject, 7 days a week.
- We offer same day tutoring.
- You don’t need to sign a contract or pay a big upfront fee to come to Lafayette Academy.
- Again, we will help you if you’re facing a financial challenge. You can email me directly at email@example.com or our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.